The chat panel is accessible to all attendees in a session/room. Use the chat like any other chat - send messages, emoji react, share photos/videos, share links, and more!
Sending messages in chat
To open the chat panel, click the iconin the bottom right of the screen or use the keyboard shortcut (C). Type any message and click the send icon (or Enter on your keyboard). All chat messages will be saved to the session/room history and will be accessible to the organizer.
Pro Tip: Press Shift+Enter on your keyboard to start a new line when typing a message.
There is a 5000 character limit for chat messages. If you try to send a message that exceeds this limit, the message will not be sent and you will see an error message.
Chat message notifications
If your chat panel is closed, a toast will show in the bottom right corner of your screen with a preview of chat messages as they are received. There will also be a counter next to the chat icon to indicate the number of unread messages.
If your chat panel is open, Session will automatically scroll down as new messages are received.
Sending other content in chat
You can also send more than messages in chat:
- Emojis - Click the emoji icon to choose your emoji and include it in your chat message.
- Links - Share links to websites or other online content. We don't show the link preview to avoid taking up too much space for everyone in the chat.
- YouTube videos - Share links to YouTube videos, which will automatically display a button for you to also share that video to the center tile of the session/room for everyone to watch together.
- GIFs - Type /giphy followed by what you want to search to display as a gif. You can then select from available options, and then send the gif to everyone in the chat.
- Files - Upload an image, file, or something else. You can also drag and drop images into the chat window. Supported file types include: .jpe, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .bmp, .ico, .svg, .tif, .tiff, .ai, .drw, .pct, .xcf, and .webp.
Reacting to chat content
Hover over any message in the chat to reveal a menu toolbar with an emoji reactions button. Choose from a grid of emojis to react to the content. The emoji reaction will be displayed below the chat message for everyone to see, including the count of reactions if others use the same emoji. Hover over an emoji reaction to see who used it.
Mentioning others in chat
You can use the @ symbol to choose another attendee in the session/room to mention in your chat message. Only attendees present in the session/room will be available to mention (those who leave will not be available to mention).
Deleting chat messages
You can delete your own chat messages by hovering over your message and clicking the delete icon. Additionally, all hosts in the session/room have the ability to delete chat messages sent by anyone. Deleted messages cannot be recovered and will not be stored in the session/room history.
Things to note
- There is no limit to the number of messages that can be sent in a specific session/room.
- Attendees will be able to see messages that were sent before they joined a session/room.
- Chat messages in rooms are cleared automatically once the last user leaves. They will not be carried over to a new instance of the same room.
- It is not currently possible to clear the chat manually.
- It is not currently possible to change the skin tone for emojis.
- Browser notifications do not apply to chat messages.