In Session, you can configure your audio and video settings before joining a session/room or while in the room/session. Configuration of audio and video settings includes features such as virtual background and other experimental features for improving your microphone and camera quality.
Joining a session/room for the first time
If this is your first time using Session, you will need to grant browser permissions for Session to access your microphone and camera.
Depending on your browser, you will see an access request popup similar to the below:
Within Session, you will see the below popup to inform you that you need to grant the appropriate browser permissions.
Configuring your audio settings
You can access your audio settings menu by clicking the arrow next to the microphone icon in the bottom toolbar (or below your video tile on the join screen)
- Select from any of your connected microphone and speaker devices for input and output. Session chooses your system's default devices as the defaults for Session.
- Choose to toggle background noise reduction on/off. This feature will reduce sounds from the environment around you, so that your voice is more clear to others.
- Choose to toggle captions on/off. This feature will display captions for every voice interaction in the room and will only be visible to you.
Configuring your video settings
You can access your video settings menu by clicking the arrow next to the camera icon in the bottom toolbar (or below your video tile on the join screen)
- Select from any of your connected camera devices. Session chooses your system's default device as the default for Session.
- Choose to toggle background blur on/off. This feature will blur your background around your face and body.
- Choose to toggle aspect ratio between portrait and landscape. Session sets the aspect ratio for all users to portrait by default.
- Select a virtual background for your video background. Learn more about how to use virtual backgrounds
- Choose to pop out videos to show 3 video tiles hovered over your browser window (tip: use this when sharing your screen).
Turning audio and video off
You can click the microphone and camera buttons at any time to turn your audio or video on/off.
If you want to use keyboard shortcuts instead, type M to toggle your microphone or type V to toggle your video.